Southwestern spices give this a.m. burrito a yummy kick
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And, while most mornings you may be inclined to grab a power bar on your way out the door, weekends provide the perfect opportunity to whip up something far more satisfying. We think this spicy, healthy spin on the egg burrito fills that bill.
Southwestern Egg White Breakfast Burritos
6 egg whites
2 Tbsp. skim milk
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 c. diced red bell pepper
1/4 c. chopped scallion
1/2 tsp. Southwestern seasoning blend (found in store spice aisle)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1 c. salsa
1. In a bowl, use a fork to combine egg whites and milk.
2. Spray a nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray. Add pepper and scallion and sauté for five to six minutes until softened. Add egg mixture, seasoning blend, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until egg mixture is firm and fluffy.
3. Add cheese and stir occasionally for one to two minutes until cheese is melted.
4. Heat tortillas in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds until lightly warmed.
5. Divide egg mixture evenly into tortillas, fold edges in and roll up into four tortillas. Serve with salsa.
Makes four servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 140 calories, 1.5 g fat
(0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 11 g protein