Patients • Spiritual Care Services
How We're Here for You
Space for Prayer and Contemplation
- The Chapel on 3 West contains a Roman Catholic tabernacle, Islamic prayer rugs and a selection of religious symbols from different faiths
- The Meditation Room on the 2nd floor of the North Pavilion provides quiet space for those who prefer the absence of specific symbols
- The Renew through Sharing Memorial Garden was designed and dedicated to honor the memory of infants miscarried or lost in death. It is a peaceful and quiet place for families and staff to reflect on the loss of a loved one.
Spiritual Care Services Contact Information
Located in the Busse Center for Specialty Medicine, Suite 5400
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Executive Director of Patient Care Support and Spiritual Care Services
Manager of Spiritual Care Services
847.618.4241 (wireless phone M-F) or 847.618.7959 (office)
Roman Catholic Ministries Office
Chaplain Joseph Marco
At NCH we understand that during times of crisis spiritual care can play a major role in providing you and your family with the best possible support. For this reason, hospital chaplains are always available to reach across faith group boundaries to meet your needs.
Chaplains are available any time of the day or night. Simply ask any staff member or hospital operator to call or page the chaplain on-call (pager number 2010).
For more information about Spiritual Care Services, call the main office at 847.618.4250.
Experience the Difference at NCH
Professional chaplains with masters degrees and training in Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) are knowledgeable in healthcare issues. They have the knowledge, experience and concern to help you:
- Maintain hope and uphold human dignity
- Re-evaluate and clarify meaning and purpose
Help guide decision-making in respect to creating advance directives, do not resuscitate and withdrawal of life support options
- Access spiritual resources and identify spiritual needs
- Address questions of meaning in the face of illness and chronic suffering
Religious resources available for many faiths.
- Copies of Christian and Jewish scriptures; books and tapes
- Roman Catholic prayers and rosaries
- Islamic prayer beads
- Battery-operated Sabbath candles for Jewish patients
- Roman Catholic Eucharistic Ministers offer communion between 10:00AM and noon each day except non-religious holidays
- A Roman Catholic Priest on-call to address other Roman Catholic sacramental needs on a daily basis
- Communion available to non-Catholics upon request
- Baptism for infants and children of all Christian faiths available when there is immediate danger to the life of the child
Consultation and support services for local religious leaders.
- Chaplains are available to help orient religious leaders and commissioned lay visitors to hospital procedures
- Parking stickers and ID badges are available. Call 847.618.4250.