Patients • Payment, Billing and Financial Services
Health Insurance Information
On your behalf, Northwest Community Hospital will bill your primary and secondary insurance plans if you provided us with this information at the time of registration. You are ultimately responsible for payment of all charges if your insurance does not pay.
If you are not insured, payment in full is expected within 30 days from the billing date. If you are unable to pay your bill within 30 days, contact a Customer Service Specialist at 847.618.4747 to set up a payment plan or to discuss other arrangements.
Insurance Plan Coverage:
Some health plans require patients to receive services at an "in-network" or "participating provider" hospital. To verify your insurance requirements and to be sure Northwest Community is in its network, call your insurance company.
- In an emergency you should go to the nearest hospital, even if it is “out-of-network”
- Your insurance plan will generally cover these costs or transfer you to an "in-network" hospital
- If you go to an "out-of-network" hospital in a non-emergency situation, you may be required to pay a larger portion of your bill
- Contact your insurance company for details about its "out-of-network" coverage
Your insurance plan may require you to pre-certify certain services or to notify them within a certain period of time after hospitalization. You should:
- Read the details of your plan's requirements and any benefit documents provided by your insurance carrier or employer
- Talk to your doctor's office and your insurance company about elective procedures
- Discuss any insurance eligibility or payment concerns when you schedule your appointment, or ask to speak with a financial counselor
The Amount You Owe:
You will receive an "Explanation of Benefits" from your insurance plan, which shows the amount it has paid, any non-covered or denied amounts and the remaining balance that you owe.
- Review this information and call your insurance company or Northwest Community if you have questions
- Northwest Community will send you a bill for any remaining amount due (such as co-insurance, deductible or non-covered charges)
- You may be asked to pay at registration or discharge from the hospital
If you do not have insurance:
At Northwest Community, all patients are treated with dignity and respect, regardless of their financial situation. Emergency service will never be denied or withheld on the basis of a patient's ability to pay. If you do not have health insurance, please call a hospital Financial Counselor.
- Financial Counselors are available to help you with hospital bills, health insurance claims, financial assistance, or charity care
- Financial Counselors can be reached at 847.618.4542.
The financial counselor will review payment and funding options that may be available to you. These could include applying for Illinois Medicaid, Kid Care or Family Care programs, Illinois Violent Crime Victims' Assistance Fund, other government-sponsored plans, grants, community funding, financial assistance and/or charity care.
- To apply for patient financial assistance at Northwest Community Hospital, please click here to download an application form, which you may print, complete and mail to the address listed on the form. The form is also available in Spanish. Please note: You must provide all requested documentation listed on the application form to be considered for either a discounted rate for Hospital services and/or for financial aid.