Medical Services • Maternity Services
At Northwest Community Hospital, we know that family support helps patients recuperate faster after childbirth, so we encourage loved ones to participate in patient care during the postpartum period. That's why every room in the Women’s Center is spacious and private, with an extra pullout bed, a work area and storage space, so a family member can stay overnight. The new baby and dad or another loved one can stay with mom as long as she wishes while she is recovering from childbirth.
For babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), we also offer a home-like environment enabling parents to bond and sleep in the same room with their baby, as well as practice caring for multiple infants and those with special needs – all while being monitored and cared for by some of the best neonatologists in Chicago from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
Download a comprehensive packing list for mothers-to-be.
Download visitor guidelines.
After childbirth, we focus on you and your baby
- All private postpartum rooms with bed for baby and accommodations for an overnight guest.
- Mom and baby care is provided by one nurse each shift.
- Focus is on providing rest, comfort and security for you and your baby in the postpartum period.
- Experienced photographers from Bella Baby Photography can capture your baby's first photograph, right in the comfort of your hospital room.
- Download a local newspaper birth announcement form
Specialized training on how to care for your newborn
- NCH staff works closely with you, teaching how to nurture and care for your baby and preparing you for the transition home.
- HALO SleepSacks® available for purchase – Replaces loose blankets in the crib that can cover your baby’s face and interfere with breathing. Its unique adjustable swaddle allows for arms in or arms out for an easy and gentle transition when it’s time to stop swaddling. Call 847.618.5225 to order.
- One-on-one private breastfeeding instruction from certified lactation consultants offered during pregnancy, during your hospital stay and after discharge.
- Medela breast-feeding supplies available to order along with personal training.
- NCH offers top quality breastfeeding products for sale to help you get ready.
Well Baby Nursery
- Our experienced staff is available to care for your baby anytime, day or night, if the need arises.
- We support mother’s choice to send baby to the nursery, but we encourage rooming in as it is proven that mothers actually rest better if baby remains with them.
Mom and Baby Hour
- We offer a variety of classes and support for you as a new mom.
- New moms and babies are invited to join one of NCH’s clinical educators and other new moms to share feelings and concerns in a relaxed atmosphere.
- The group meets every Tuesday from 10–11:30 am. For more information, call 847.618.4YOU(4968).
- You will be carefully monitored for any signs of postpartum depression which can result from a combination of biological, hormonal, environmental and psychological factors.
- If you have a family history of depression, lack social support, or have experienced adverse life events and/or problems in your marriage, you may be at risk.
- If you or someone you know is experiencing even a few symptoms of postpartum depression or postpartum psychosis, seek medical help right away and call 911 if emergency help is needed.
- Treatment varies by individual and may include antidepressant medication, counseling, interpersonal psychotherapy and, in extreme cases, hospitalization.
- We also offer pregnancy loss support and support groups.
- Download information sheet on postpartum depression
Download an NCH/Community Resource List for parents.
Find out how NCH can help you have the best possible childbirth experience. To sign up for a tour of the Women’s Center or to find an obstetrician, certified nurse midwife or pediatrician, call 847.618.4YOU (4968).