Medical Services • Maternity Services
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
The highest level of care for special infants
Our new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) ensures tiny preemies or seriously ill newborns need not be separated from their parents to get the specialized medical care they need. Mother, father and baby can stay together in a comfortable, private room and receive compassionate, expert care from the best board-certified neonatologists and specialists in Chicago right here at NCH. Seamlessly integrated into the warm, family friendly environment of the NICU is the most advanced medical technology for neonatal care.
Take a virtual tour of our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Download visitor guidelines.
NICU means more for babies and moms
- As a state-accredited perinatal facility, NCH can now care for premature newborns and critically ill infants of any gestational age, including triplets and quadruplets.
- Common surgeries for conditions like patent ductus arteriosus or PDA can be performed right in the NICU by expert pediatric cardiovascular surgeons from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- Board-certified neonatologists from Lurie Children's Hospital and specially trained neonatal nurses provide around-the-clock expert care to special care newborns.
- We also offer the latest in Maternal-Fetal Medicine for women experiencing high-risk pregnancies.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians, or perinatologists, from NorthShore University HealthSystem work with attending OBs to provide the best care for high-risk mothers-to-be.
NCH is the only hospital in the Northwest Suburbs with 24-hour, on-site access to neonatologists from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago—leaders in the treatment of critically ill newborn infants. The physicians in the Division of Neonatology from Lurie Children's are internationally recognized in the delivery of advanced therapies for high-risk babies and all are board-certified by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Private NICU rooms for baby and family
- Every child in the NICU is cared for in a private room equipped with the latest medical technology.
- Parents can visit anytime and stay overnight on a pullout bed.
- Technology is seamlessly integrated into the room, maximizing mother-baby safety and security.
- Multiple births are cared for in adjoining rooms.
- Advanced baby beds are designed to reduce stress on premature babies.
- Nurses can monitor patients and work at moveable stations just outside baby’s room.
- Parents are encouraged to spend a night and practice newborn care with staff nearby for assistance and training.
- Social worker and discharge planner help families prepare to go home with their infant when the time comes.
- HALO SleepSacks® and breastfeeding products available for purchase - call 847.618.5225 to order.
Parents, specialists and staff are partners in coordinated care
- NICU nurses are attuned to the needs and wishes of parents at all times.
- Neonatologists work in conjunction with attending physicians and specialists to provide the highest level of neonatal inpatient care.
- Leading pediatric specialists including pediatric surgeons, neonatal respiratory therapists and a neonatal pharmacist are available for consultations around the clock.
- Parents are included in consultations, and are encouraged to ask questions and be partners in baby’s care.
- The NICU Parent Advisory Council is made up of parents of NICU graduates, neonatologists, NICU nurses and managers. The group works together to continue to make the NICU the best it can be. If you are interested in joining this group, please contact Cindy Hartwig at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCH CarePages available to update family and friends
- Should your baby need to stay in the NICU for any length of time, we offer a free, confidential, online way to stay in touch with loved ones and update them on baby's progress.
- CarePages are easy to set up and use to share health updates, upload photos and exchange supportive messages though a secure web page that you customize.
- If you do not have your own laptop, some NCH nursing units have computers available for you to use.
Advanced diagnostic and imaging consultations
Through NCH's unique partnership with Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, NCH pediatricians now have the ability to review echocardiograms in real time with pediatric cardiologists located at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. A telemedicine consultation with a Lurie Children's pediatric specialist is available in any NCH unit where children are seen.
Neonatal Developmental Follow-up Clinic
- Neonatal Developmental Follow-up Clinic provides assessment by a team which includes a neonatologist, nurse and occupational, speech and physical therapists for at-risk and premature newborns after discharge.
- Focuses on follow-up care for babies who have had a difficult start because of premature birth or other physical challenges
- Team approach to assess and monitor babies for progress in growth and development
- NCH's Physical Rehabilitation Services team assesses babies for progress in growth and development and, if needed, will refer families for additional therapies.
Download an NCH/Community Resource List for parents.
Find out how NCH can help you have the best possible childbirth experience. To sign up for a tour of the Women’s Center or to find an obstetrician, certified nurse midwife or pediatrician, call 847.618.4YOU (4968).