Medical Services • Maternity Services
Labor and Delivery
Since 1959, Northwest Community Hospital's Labor and Delivery Department has been bringing thousands of babies into the world every year. We provide a full range of advanced medical services and conveniences for you and your baby to keep both of you comfortable, healthy, safe and happy throughout the childbirth experience.
Take a virtual tour of one of our labor and delivery rooms.
Download a comprehensive packing list for mothers-to-be.
Download this list of directions and map of the hospital.
Private labor and delivery rooms offer a warm, supportive atmosphere
- Spacious, private, comfortable labor and delivery rooms, equipped with the latest technologies and amenities for you and your child's safety and comfort.
- An extra pullout bed, large in-room bathroom with shower, work area and storage space mean dad or other support person can stay with you overnight.
- Medical equipment is fully integrated into each private room to support transition from labor to delivery or to accommodate emergency procedures.
- Special lighting lowers from ceiling for physician and staff during childbirth.
- Mom and dad can bring movies or an iPod to enjoy music during labor.
- Still photos may be taken at any time. Video is not permitted during the actual delivery or C-section.
- Three C-section operating rooms are available on the unit just in case.
Family-centered environment focused on you and your partner during childbirth
- Warm and inviting area filled with windows, natural light and space to walk around.
- Large waiting area features laptop connection, a quiet area, a kids' zone and a TV Flexible visiting policy; mother determines number of guests visiting at one time.
- Flexible visiting policy; mother determines number of guests visiting at one time.
- Lockers for dads are provided in operating suite as well as centrally located in the unit.
- Cell phones can be used throughout the hospital to keep in touch—the only restrictions are in areas of high technology, such as the operating room.
- If your support person needs to leave the unit to visit the cafeteria, the staff will be happy to call his or her cell phone to keep in touch, if needed.
- Video-monitored indoor path for moms in labor who want to walk around.
- HALO SleepSacks® and breastfeeding products available for purchase.
Caring and experienced childbirth staff
- Specially trained nurses and board-certified obstetricians are in Labor and Delivery 24/7, working in conjunction with your attending OB during childbirth.
- Obstetric hospitalists, board-certified obstetricians, are available to care for you in an emergency until your own obstetrician arrives.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians (perinatologists) from NorthShore University HealthSystem who care for patients with high-risk pregnancies, make daily rounds and are available 24/7 to consult with your attending OB.
- An anesthesiologist dedicated to labor and delivery is available 24-hours a day.
- A neonatologist and NICU nurse attend all high-risk deliveries.
Advanced services for added assurance
- Rapid response teams are on standby at all times, just in case.
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) nearby for premature and critically ill children.
- 24-hour, on-site access to board-certified neonatologists from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
- Advanced telemedicine system for additional consultations.
Download an NCH/Community Resource List for parents.
Learn about NCHBaby.org.
Find out how NCH can help you have the best possible childbirth experience. To sign up for a tour of the Women’s Center or to find an obstetrician, certified nurse midwife or pediatrician, call 847.618.4YOU (4968).